Recently the Times and Daily Mail published stories about a Christian child being “forced” to stay with Muslim foster carers.
Islamophobes around the country ran with the story and used it to demonise Muslims, but the story has since been found to have many holes and Muslims are demanding some action is taken about this.
A lot can be learned from the official court documents (https://www.judiciary.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/case-management-order-lbtw-cd-and-ors-20170830.pdf).
This document alone shows how fake the story is:
1) Part 5: The child was put into temporary foster care by the police due to the mother’s alcohol and drug problems. There was no mention of this in either of the papers.
2) Part 14.10: The child’s guardian undertook enquiries, visited the foster carer’s home and spoke to the child alone. There was no concern raised and assessed the child was settled and well-cared for.
3) Part 14.2 & 14.14: The foster family that was criticised by the tabloids, was only a temporary placement to allow the original foster carer to go on holiday.
Again no mention by the papers.
4) Part 14.13: The court papers state “the mother has at no stage applied to the court for change of foster carer.”
5) The child herself is from Muslim heritage and her Muslim grandmother has now been cleared by the courts to look after the child subject to regulation.
This was perhaps not reported because it would destroy the narrative of the story. However, it made the reporting unbalance and inaccurate.
6) Both papers claimed they foster carers did not speak English. This is a blatant lie, as Tower Hamlets council confirmed that they did speak English in their assessment.
At no point did either paper attempt to publish material correcting their initial mis-information and MUST apologise publicly.
Complain to IPSO, under ‘Clause 1: Accuracy’, about the Times & Daily Mail by clicking on this link: https://www.ipso.co.uk/make-a-complaint/complaints-form/
Copy and paste the 6 points above into your complaint.
Also, don’t forget to share this action alert with family and friends so that more pressure is applied on these papers and they are held to account for their reckless reporting.